Research Qualitative [click here to download]
This module introduces the fundamental elements of a qualitative approach to research, to help you understand and become proficient in the qualitative methods discussed in subse-quent modules. We recommend that you consult the suggested readings at the end of the module for more in-depth treatment of the foundations of qualitative research.
This module covers the following topics:
• Introduction to Qualitative Research
• Comparing Qualitative and Quantitative Research
• Sampling in Qualitative Research
• Recruitment in Qualitative Research
• Ethical Guidelines in Qualitative Research
• Suggested Readings
Introduction to Qualitative Research
What is qualitative research?
Qualitative research is a type of scientific research. In general terms, scientific research consists
of an investigation that:
• seeks answers to a question
• systematically uses a predefined set of procedures to answer the question
• collects evidence
• produces findings that were not determined in advance
• produces findings that are applicable beyond the immediate boundaries of the study
Qualitative research shares these characteristics. Additionally, it seeks to understand a given research problem or topic from the perspectives of the local population it involves. Qualitative research is especially effective in obtaining culturally specific information about the values, opinions, behaviors, and social contexts of particular populations……………
Leave a comment
No comments yet.